Baromedical Nurses Association News
The Baromedical Nurses Association (BNA) has been working hard over the last 10 years to improve as an organization and provide better benefits with membership. We were founded in 1985 to provide registered nurses working in hyperbaric medicine a formal organization. The BNA was founded with a goal to provide networking, education, research and a presence in other organizations. Our mission and vision has not changed; we are always trying to offer more for our members.
Here are a few of our accomplishment:
- Technology has improved over the last 10 years and so has our BNA website. We have lots of information, education and other resources for you to access. Check it out at http://hyperbaricnurses.org.
- Visit our BNA table at the UHMS ASM and the chapter meetings near you. We love to support the UHMS and appreciate all they do to assist HBO nurses. See you in Puerto Rico!
- Every year we hold an annual membership meeting which is open to all BNA members. We share what we have done and plan to do as an organization. This year it will be held at the Gulf Coast Chapter meeting in Dallas on September 6, 2019. Join us in person if you can or online to get the update of what the BNA is doing for you.
- The BNA leadership is 100% volunteers. We have an executive board (president, VP, secretary, treasurer and director at large) as well as committees (education, by-laws, publications, safety, research, nominations, and awards). We would love to have you join the board. We are all busy working people but spending a few hours a month can make a big difference to the BNA.
- No longer is the BNA for registered nurses only. We now have a discounted rate for LPN/ LVNs working in HBO to join the BNA. http:// hyperbaricnurses.org/membership-options/
- We love to highlight HBO nurses who excel in our field. We have awarded a nurse the Diane Norkool award since 1996. In 2017 we initiated the Circle of Excellence award to honor a non-nurse that has been extraordinary in assisting HBO nurses. Now in 2019 we have started another award to recognize HBO nurses new to the field that are showing great leadership and exceptional care. Nominations are now open for these BNA annual awards. Check the website http://hyperbaricnurses.org/awards/ for information and nomination applications.
- Safety is always important in hyperbarics. We have a page on the website with posted information, but recently we have added the members-only forum. There have been some great discussions and you can read the previous questions and responses. http:// hyperbaricnurses.org/hbo-forum/
- Research is an essential element in all nursing fields. Our research committee is working hard on a new project. Watch for surveys and articles showing our results.
- Watch for more BNA accomplishments to come and stay updated with all the latest and greatest on our website.
Also, a big thanks to the WCHM for supporting hyperbaric nursing over the years!